Sunday 8 January 2023

The Belmont Thumbstick

One of Sir Max Hastings' favourite pieces of kit happens to be his treasured thumbstick.

 I happen to possess one myself.

A pal and follower of the blog, Stephen Knox, most generously offered to make me a thumbstick several months ago, following my tweet about Sir Max's walking-stick.

I am sure that Stephen shan't mind me remarking that he is considerably leaner and fitter since the photograph below was taken in 2016.


Accordingly, I decided to mark the occasion with dinner at Michael Deane's fish restaurant in Howard Street, Belfast, on the 3rd December, 2016.

Coincidentally it also happened to be the ninth anniversary of the blog.


I arrived slightly early, so I was shown to the champagne bar (which happens to be adjacent to Deane's Eipic.


When Stephen arrived he presented me with my handsome new thumbstick, made mostly of chestnut wood and antler horn.


It has a distinctive, engraved, sterling silver collar band.

I can only imagine the amount of time that Stephen spent on such a handsome item; unsurpassed craftsmanship.

At Mount Stewart (Timothy Ferres, January, 2023)

More recently I went for a walk in Mount Stewart's magnificent woodland with my thumbstick.

First published in December, 2016.

2 comments :

oldmanofthewest said...

I am pleased to see that your lordship is keeping up the tradition of the British military warm. Hard to find nowadays.

Timothy Belmont said...

Old Man of the West,

Indeed, and rest assured that it lives up to its name. Mine must be about 30 years old still has plenty of mileage.

Tim.