Saturday 14 May 2022

Valedictory Letter

My parents sent me to BRACKENBER HOUSE SCHOOL, a small prep school at Cleaver Avenue, off the Malone Road, Belfast.

I can't remember why I wasn't sent to Cabin Hill, though do recall paying a visit to Rockport School with my mother and Godmother to have a look.

At any rate, I enjoyed my time at Brackenber. It seemed to suit me well.

I was there from about 1971 until 1973, or thereabouts, before moving up to Campbell College.

Some years later I (and presumably everybody else) received a letter from Brackenber's last headmaster, John Craig MA, following his retirement.

This is clearly valedictory in nature.

Unfortunately the date has been omitted.

I'm fairly sure, however, that it must have been circa 1985.

If there happen to be any Old Brackenbrians reading this, perhaps you know of the school's final month and year?

It reflects Mr Craig's feelings about Brackenber, his profound devotion and deep affection for what was literally his home (he lived on the top floor) and his life:-

Click to Enlarge
First published in August, 2009.

1 comment :

Anonymous said...

Brain fade. It's a long time ago. RN - BHS from kindergarten to sixth form left in summer 82. 82 to 87 was another altogether less pleasant experience in a different school post CE. Apologies for the error.